Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Stewart's Career is Over

Sprint Car Driver Dies After Being Struck by Tony Stewart

He'll be lucky if he only gets banned from professional racing. Surely his sponsors are going to reconsider their association with Stewart-Haas Racing.

Witnesses heard him gun the motor before striking the other driver with the rear wheel of his car. That's enough for a manslaugter charge.
    Last edited by m200pilot; 08-10-2014, 09:07 PM.
    Chris

1993 SSP, Oregon State Police
    2016 Ford Explorer

"There are four kinds of homicide: felonius, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -- Ambrose Bierce

Chris it sounds like the young man put him self in the position for this to happen. Dimly light track and walking around his car to confront another driver. Car in front swerved to miss him before Stewart hit him. Lets not pull a Nancy Grace and convict a man before all the facts are in.

Just my
    John

Current
    1992 PA SSP
    1993 Hatch Back (building what I want)
    1994 GT Convertible
    1964 1/2 Coupe
    1986 FHP SSP

Have Owned
    1968 Coupe 200 6 cylinder
    1967 Coupe 200 6 cylinder
    1986 Coupe 2300 4 cylinder
    1979 Coupe turbo 4 cylinder changed to 5.0 before I got it
    1989 Hatch Back LX 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by John Connor View Post
      Chris it sounds like the young man put him self in the position for this to happen. Dimly light track and walking around his car to confront another driver. Car in front swerved to miss him before Stewart hit him. Lets not pull a Nancy Grace and convict a man before all the facts are in.

Just my
      I agree 100 percent.....
      Gary
      Ontario, Canada

1988 NYSP SSP (awaiting paint)
      1989 FHP SSP #1329 (resto complete) 2016

1990 FLHTC
      2002 FLHTPI
      2007 F150 Lariat 4X4 4dr

Comment

I'll agree, the whole running onto the track to "scorn" someone as they go by is putting yourself in danger.

And I'll also avoid rushing to judgement having not being there or seeing video of it.

But I'll also say, the fact that witnesses say they heard Stewart hit the throttle right when he went by and the investigator stated the rear of Tony's car kicked out and the rear wheel hit Mr. Ward........sounds like there might be some possible negligence on Tony's part too.

It will all come out in the wash. Very sad that a life was lost.
        Last edited by nighthawk756; 08-10-2014, 09:26 PM.
        Brad

1991 GSP SSP - Troop G / Post 10 - Unit #1238
        1988 Alabama DPS SSP - Demopolis Post/Marengo County - Unit #186

1986 Nevada HP SSP - Region HQ/Carson City - Unit #289--Sold
        1992 FHP SSP - Troop L / Palm Beach County - Unit #1537--Sold

Comment

And if Tony Stewart didn't have a well-documented history of on-track rage issues...

Ward Jr. made a stupid, imprudent decision just like we'd expect from any 20-year old. Tony should have been the adult on the track. Instead it appears as though he was cutting it close to give the young gun a "little chin music" on the way by.

If I was a Sprint Cup sponsor, I might be looking at one of the promising young drivers out there who haven't run anybody over lately.
          Chris

2016 Ford Explorer

"There are four kinds of homicide: felonius, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -- Ambrose Bierce

Comment

You are NOT ALLOWED to exit your car in any type of car racing!!! Ward walked down the track pointing and almost got hit by the driver in front of Tony. Unfortunately he lost his life making a poor decision...

Now, I have raced microsprints and a 358... You have one left front brake caliper and one brake caliper on the rear by the right rear wheel. Also, with the wing, you really don't see much out of the right hand side. With using a hans device as Tony uses, you don't have that much freedom to move your head around obviously...You use the rear wheels to do most of the steering on a sprint car.

So, maybe you should do some research before making an Obama statement OP.

Comment

Originally posted by flattrack53 View Post
              You are NOT ALLOWED to exit your car in any type of car racing!!! Ward walked down the track pointing and almost got hit by the driver in front of Tony. Unfortunately he lost his life making a poor decision...

Now, I have raced microsprints and a 358... You have one left front brake caliper and one brake caliper on the rear by the right rear wheel. Also, with the wing, you really don't see much out of the right hand side. With using a hans device as Tony uses, you don't have that much freedom to move your head around obviously...You use the rear wheels to do most of the steering on a sprint car.

So, maybe you should do some research before making an Obama statement OP.
              For something that drivers are "NOT ALLOWED" to do, there sure are a lot of drivers that do it.

So every other driver on the track managed to miss the kid. But the one driver he had a beef with, the one with a documented history of anger management issues, can't avoid him.

And thanks for the Sprint Car 101, but nothing you said convinces me Stewart didn't imtend to do a little strafing run on the brat who was dissing him. Really?! Race car drivers can't see what's in front of them?! Seems like that would be kind of important.
              Chris

2016 Ford Explorer

Comment

Perhaps I am wrong here, but isnt the camber on a sprint car adjusted so much to the point that at low speed, you can barely turn a sprint car to the left - especially at low speed? Tony got on the throttle to "turn" the car. Everyone else missed the guy because he lunged at Tony's car - not at the others... Being a dark track, the guy wearing a black race suit, no spotters telling Tony what is going on, limited vision from Hans, wing, helmet, visor tear-offs, etc. - and the fact that Tony had to look for other debris on the track (possible metal, shocks, etc.), he very, very likely had no view of this guy much less watch him lunge at his 100+ inch right rear tire...

Like him or hate him, dont jump on the media bandwagon until we learn much more. I am certain he is torn up that this has happened, and he has to live with that the rest of his life. BUT, it appears to have been an accident resulting from the deceased's bad decision. No one wins here... Sad stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by TruperTim View Post
                  Perhaps I am wrong here, but isnt the camber on a sprint car adjusted so much to the point that at low speed, you can barely turn a sprint car to the left - especially at low speed? Tony got on the throttle to "turn" the car. Everyone else missed the guy because he lunged at Tony's car - not at the others... Being a dark track, the guy wearing a black race suit, no spotters telling Tony what is going on, limited vision from Hans, wing, helmet, visor tear-offs, etc. - and the fact that Tony had to look for other debris on the track (possible metal, shocks, etc.), he very, very likely had no view of this guy much less watch him lunge at his 100+ inch right rear tire...

Like him or hate him, dont jump on the media bandwagon until we learn much more. I am certain he is torn up that this has happened, and he has to live with that the rest of his life. BUT, it appears to have been an accident resulting from the deceased's bad decision. No one wins here... Sad stuff.
                  well put
                  Gary
                  Ontario, Canada

1988 NYSP SSP (awaiting paint)
                  1989 FHP SSP #1329 (resto complete) 2016

1990 FLHTC
                  2002 FLHTPI
                  2007 F150 Lariat 4X4 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by m200pilot View Post
                    For something that drivers are "NOT ALLOWED" to do, there sure are a lot of drivers that do it.

So every other driver on the track managed to miss the kid. But the one driver he had a beef with, the one with a documented history of anger management issues, can't avoid him.

And thanks for the Sprint Car 101, but nothing you said convinces me Stewart didn't imtend to do a little strafing run on the brat who was dissing him. Really?! Race car drivers can't see what's in front of them?! Seems like that would be kind of important.
                    Yeah, your correct... Every other driver managed to miss Ward as Ward wanted to go after Stewart. As you see, Ward ran out in front of Stewarts car.

I said, you can't see out of the right hand side of the car due to the wing.. Yes believe it or not, visibility isn't great. Like I said, you only have two brake calipers and they really aren't that great either. The only way you can steer a sprint car is with the throttle as they are worse than a school bus's turning radius at a slow speed.

358-360 cubic inch sprint car motors are around 650hp. If you have ever been to a sprint car race you would realize these cars don't idle either. If I had to guess, an actual idle would be considered 4,000 rpm and that may be low. Under caution, most tracks have a 40mph speed limit in which it is actually hard to do with a sprint car considering it has no transmission... You are either in gear or out of gear.

Your probably correct on all of you assumptions though... The Internet and forums are always correct.. Maybe you should read this article

http://www.motorsport.com/sprint/new...e-whole-story/

Comment

I don't think he ever actually intended to hit Ward…maybe scare him..but not intentionally kill him.

The bottom line is, had Ward NOT gotten out of his car to confront Stewart ON the track with a race in progress….he would be alive today.:chill pill

Last year in St Albans VT, (town of 6,500 where I live) a woman chased down a guy who ran a red light in front of her. He pulled over…she got out of the car to confront the man…who had just been confronted by his wife at a girlfriends house. He shot her 6 times on Main St at 5:40 PM. Two blocks from where I live…..

http://www.wcax.com/story/23531003/s...igate-shooting

Road rage, track rage…many times can have a tragic ending.
                      Last edited by DJP55; 08-11-2014, 09:06 PM.
                      David P.

http://public.fotki.com/david0855/

MCA Member #61961

Comment

We were at the race in Atlanta last night, ears are still ringing ...disappointing event for Stewart, finishing 41st, including running into the wall after blowing a tire.

I think it's going to be a tough road back...
                        Mike Riley, webmaster, sspmustang.org

1986 Indian Rocks FL FD SSP Mustang
                        2002 5 speed Mustang Convertible
                        2004 Competition Orange Mach 1
                        2004 Mercury Marauder

Comment

And the rest of the story…………….

http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com...artner=ya5nbcs
                          David P.

http://public.fotki.com/david0855/

MCA Member #61961

Comment