Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 5-speed 1986 5.0 Collection (in the order I bought them since 10/86 and miles to date):
    Jalepeno red GT convertible...1 of 740 w/31k miles
    Oxford white GT convertible (SOLD 5/07)...1 of 926 w/13k miles
    Light regatta blue GT hatch (SOLD 8/07)...1 of 2,256 w/107k miles
    Oxford white SSP UHP (SOLD 12/06)...1 of 114 w/175k miles
    Medium canyon red LX coupe...1 of 112 w/119k miles (per Stu Jones 3/08)
    Oxford white SSP (CSP now blue & white GSP)...1 of 415 w/137k miles
    Last edited by UTAH1986SSP; 06-18-2008, 09:20 AM. Reason: Update
    sigpic
    1979 2.3 Turbo Pace Car
    1993 5.0 LX SSP (Nevada Highway Patrol)
    1989 5.0 LX Convertible (Summer daily driver)
    2001 5.4 F-150 XLT 4X4 Supercab (Winter daily driver)

Comment

On the subject- the info in the Fox Recognition guide came from Stu Jones- Third Generation Registry. He seems to have disappeared from the Mustang landscape in the last few years. Has anyone had any contact with him recently? I know he lived here in FL- the Melbourne area. I lost his number and email and have not talked to him in some time.
      1993 FHP Unit 435
      My Babies here- http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f315/horseplayauto/

Comment

Did he own a foxbody vert? I ran into a guy at FFW Orlando last year who lived in the melbourne area and seemed to know a lot about tracing history of the fox bodies. We had a discussion about a rare 85 that had just sold in the area. Turns out I knew the guy who bought it at work. He said he could give me the low down on my car by every detail, and gave me his email address. I tried to email him, but never heard back. I assumed I got his email wrong. I'll see if I can dig it up.
        Brian
        '90 Ex-FHP Coupe:

Comment

Stu is still in Florida (I might still have the enveope with the return address). I had requested info via mail (sent money too) on my Medium Canyon Red LX coupe in March of 2007, and finally received the print out in March of 2008. Kevin Marti has exclusive rights from Ford for the info now, and I speculate that Stu did mine since I had already paid for it before Marti had obtained the rights from Ford.
          sigpic
          1979 2.3 Turbo Pace Car
          1993 5.0 LX SSP (Nevada Highway Patrol)
          1989 5.0 LX Convertible (Summer daily driver)
          2001 5.4 F-150 XLT 4X4 Supercab (Winter daily driver)

Comment

Great article. Thanks.

I am surprised how rare my black 87 LX coupe is. Wow, only 62 produced. I thought they were as common as sock holes...lol

Well, as some of you know, my 87 is now black and white (CHP Theme car) It's about to go in for it's final stage, a 347 stroker motor.

I like it better with the white anyway

Comment

1987 Black LX

Can someone verify to me that there were only 62 black LX SSP Mustangs produced in 1987?????

My black car is one of 23 cars for Connecticut in 1987. There were 5 black, 4 dark brown, 4 blue, 3 dark gray, 3 red, 1 medium blue, 1 dark blue, 1 gray, and 1 brown...all LX cars with the exception of 1 black GT.

Where is the registry giving the breakdowns for the SSP production so that I can continue my research on the Connecticut cars?

Bill Wood

Comment

I'm only going by the above posted article on production numbers. I assume it covers all Mustangs, not just SSP's. They made a ton of black Mustang coupes in the following years but very few in 87

...or did I miss something?

Comment

Keep in mind...many SSP Mustangs were Fleet paint orders with unique paint codes that probably would not have shown up in the count. CHP for example did not use a standard Ford white or Black paint code.

There were over 400 B&W SSP's between TX and CA alone.

LINK: http://www.sspmustang.org/technical/vehicle_usage.htm

It is possible there were only 62 or so all black LX coupes with some being SSP's in factory black.
                  Last edited by DJP55; 06-25-2008, 06:18 AM.
                  David P.

http://public.fotki.com/david0855/

MCA Member #61961

Comment

Originally posted by BuzzHaze
                    I'm only going by the above posted article on production numbers. I assume it covers all Mustangs, not just SSP's. They made a ton of black Mustang coupes in the following years but very few in 87

...or did I miss something?

That must be a misprint. In '88 there were 1,552 and 2,174 in '89. In the Fox-Body Recognition guide book list 962 1C black '87 5.0 coupes. Must have missed a 9. That's too low a number for a common color. The ones in the special service list at the bottom are probably just the ones with special paint like FL, CA, TX etc. While the plain color agencies like WA, CO, UT are in the 9L oxford white list. That's how I assume to read the list.
                    Brian

1986 FHP 1742
                    1986 WSP 2761
                    http://public.fotki.com/predator2020/

Comment

1987 Black LX sedan

Brian, I tend to agree with your interpretation, because a common color of black for a Ford police car never should have been that rare.

Bill Wood

Comment

The Mustang Red Book by Peter Sessler lists 962 black v8 coupes in 1987.
                        Marc
                        1992 Douglas County Ga. Unmarked SSP

Comment

Working...
                        X