Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SSP/Cross reference

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SSP/Cross reference

    Had an interesting experience this weekend in the salvage yard. Saw a pristine '81 Cougar that had just been brought in. The dash pad was mint, and lo and behold it is identical to a four eyed car application, so I pulled it off for 10 bucks. Also pulled the matching single key door and trunk lock set with matching stainless bezel set for another 10 bucks(these are single key, but opposite of the SSP set-another discussion).

    It got me thinking it would be very helpful to have a cross reference chart for SSP stuff(doesn't have to be SSP specific-stuff like dash pads, armrests, etc common to all Mustangs, but hard to find) that anyone looking for during a restoration might need. With that in mind, I would like to try and develop a list that can be posted on the site that would be helpful for anyone looking for pricey stuff like dash pads..it would have never occurred to me to check eBay, for example, for a dash pad for an '81 Cougar as opposed to everyone in the world looking for Mustang ones(and consequently paying top dollar). Here's the idea:

    Item: Application: Other models that will fit
    Dash Pad 1982-1986 SSP's '79-82(?) Fairmont, Cougar

    If anyone knows of any other items that would be a similar cross reference, please post it here.
    Thanks.
    --Mike
    Mike Riley, webmaster, sspmustang.org

    1986 Indian Rocks FL FD SSP Mustang
    2002 5 speed Mustang Convertible
    2004 Competition Orange Mach 1
    2004 Mercury Marauder

    __________________________________________
    Keep Americans working - buy US made products!

  • #2
    Originally posted by SSPMustang
    Had an interesting experience this weekend in the salvage yard. Saw a pristine '81 Cougar that had just been brought in. The dash pad was mint, and lo and behold it is identical to a four eyed car application, so I pulled it off for 10 bucks. Also pulled the matching single key door and trunk lock set with matching stainless bezel set for another 10 bucks(these are single key, but opposite of the SSP set-another discussion).

    It got me thinking it would be very helpful to have a cross reference chart for SSP stuff(doesn't have to be SSP specific-stuff like dash pads, armrests, etc common to all Mustangs, but hard to find) that anyone looking for during a restoration might need. With that in mind, I would like to try and develop a list that can be posted on the site that would be helpful for anyone looking for pricey stuff like dash pads..it would have never occurred to me to check eBay, for example, for a dash pad for an '81 Cougar as opposed to everyone in the world looking for Mustang ones(and consequently paying top dollar). Here's the idea:

    Item: Application: Other models that will fit
    Dash Pad 1982-1986 SSP's '79-82(?) Fairmont, Cougar

    If anyone knows of any other items that would be a similar cross reference, please post it here.
    Thanks.
    --Mike


    I'd definitely need this idea!
    MJ
    ----------------------------------------------------
    2011 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI/DSG
    1989 Ocala, FL SSP (unverified for its actual usage)
    1990 FHP Unit #?
    www.fotki.com/calimustang

    Comment


    • #3
      You might check out a Hollander Manual.
      Performance Parts, Inc.
      Oak Hill, VA

      703 742-6207

      Comment


      • #4
        I've used cross referencing often when I've had to find the nit-picky stuff for my car at a wrecking yard. I comb through all the Ford products from roughly the same era as my SSP and have always come up with great pieces that were exactly the same "parts bin" items. For example:

        The inside rearview mirror is common to many models, I pulled my replacement from a T-bird. ($5)

        The manual window cranks on SSPs are the same as those used on the Tempo/Topaz lines. I scored a pristine set that came off the BACK doors of a Tempo sedan...they look brand new! ($5/set)

        The body shop lost the little rubber bumpers from the inside of my trunk lid. I found a set of nice replacements on a Fairmont. (In the pocket! )

        I've pulled tons of misc. fasteners and other hardware off other models as well, I don't care where it came from as long as it is in good condition.

        Of course, a Hollander manual will break it down precisely but normally I just take the old parts or part numbers I'm looking for to the bone yard and start examining possible Ford donors from other lines if I can't find what I'm looking for on the Mustangs. BTW, most yards I go to seem to charge less for parts from the lower lines cars (Tempo, etc.) than from Mustangs.
        Michael
        1988 CHP #3035

        http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/

        Comment


        • #5
          Hollander is a good idea...is there one that would cover all the fox years?
          I would like to develop a list of the key items that we all know are hard to find like the dash pads, oil coolers, etc...
          --Mike
          Mike Riley, webmaster, sspmustang.org

          1986 Indian Rocks FL FD SSP Mustang
          2002 5 speed Mustang Convertible
          2004 Competition Orange Mach 1
          2004 Mercury Marauder

          __________________________________________
          Keep Americans working - buy US made products!

          Comment


          • #6
            Hollander books are great. I remember years ago they used to have notes that said "salvage dealers advise that this part will work by changing" this or that. You don't see that anymore. I can remember spending many hours researching and trying different things when I worked in a salvage yard and comming up with more interchanges. Things were alot simpler then tho. I will certainly share any interchanges I come up with (or remember). Like I posted before about these 1 key lock sets (except glovebox lock) from 87 and older Crown Vic police cars being the same as SSP's. 88-91 doors & ignition (not trunk or glovebox) are the same. I think this is a great idea. Doug
            1986 CHP #3705 -- 1989 Minnesota SSP

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by SSPMustang
              Hollander is a good idea...is there one that would cover all the fox years?
              I would like to develop a list of the key items that we all know are hard to find like the dash pads, oil coolers, etc...
              --Mike
              I'm sure alot of you already know it but Turbo Coupe oil coolers are the same as SSP's Doug
              1986 CHP #3705 -- 1989 Minnesota SSP

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SSPMustang
                Hollander is a good idea...is there one that would cover all the fox years?
                I would like to develop a list of the key items that we all know are hard to find like the dash pads, oil coolers, etc...
                --Mike
                The 59th edition will cover 93 and older i believe. I have a 65th edition and that covers 99 and older but doesn't go back as far as 79 on most things. Doug
                1986 CHP #3705 -- 1989 Minnesota SSP

                Comment


                • #9
                  Thanks Doug. I am going to pick up one on eBay...
                  --Mike
                  Mike Riley, webmaster, sspmustang.org

                  1986 Indian Rocks FL FD SSP Mustang
                  2002 5 speed Mustang Convertible
                  2004 Competition Orange Mach 1
                  2004 Mercury Marauder

                  __________________________________________
                  Keep Americans working - buy US made products!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by SSPMustang
                    Thanks Doug. I am going to pick up one on eBay...
                    --Mike
                    Another thing I should mention about these Hollander Interchange books is that there isn't just one big book. There are several books. There is Identification I & II, Engine I & II, Body Parts I & II, Chassis I & II, & Wheels. There may be more but I'm not sure. I have all the above except Wheels. One of the guys at the local salvage yard hoardes the wheel books so I couldn't get one. I know these guys real well especially the owner & the manager and the 8 books I did get cost me $100 and they were 5 years old at the time. These things won't be cheap unless you find someone that doesn't know what they're worth. They will pay for themselves many times over, trust me. The ID books I have go back as far as 1968 with Vin decoding and Certification Plate decoding which is nice. Good luck to everyone. Doug
                    1986 CHP #3705 -- 1989 Minnesota SSP

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was at a local salvage yard a few days ago looking for a spare. I came across a 10 hole wheel looked like for my SSP. I asked the clerk and he said it is for a Mustang. Inside the rim was their ID with 85 Thunderbird. Your cross reference idea sounds great. George
                      Last edited by PoliceSSP; 04-11-2006, 06:13 PM.
                      -------------
                      George
                      --------
                      93 Nebraska State Patrol SSP unit#3133
                      86 Utah Highway Patrol SSP slicktop
                      93 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP slicktop
                      83 Idaho State Police SSP slicktop
                      96 FHP Ford Crn Vic P71

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        One of the best sources I've found for pieces on the older Mustangs is the Mercury Capri (79-86). All the interior stuff works, all suspension, all under hood, some trim, glass and so on. They tend to be in better shape too since most of them weren't flogged as hard and their counterpart the Mustang :frown:

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thats why all of the mid 80's Fords and Mercs are so popular now. All there parts interchange. People putting 302's and late model interiors in these cars and they look cool.
                          Wynne

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Scored a Hollander set for $75 on eBay..1979-1992. I will post all the key SSP stuff we can always be on the lookout for when I get it..
                            --Mike
                            Mike Riley, webmaster, sspmustang.org

                            1986 Indian Rocks FL FD SSP Mustang
                            2002 5 speed Mustang Convertible
                            2004 Competition Orange Mach 1
                            2004 Mercury Marauder

                            __________________________________________
                            Keep Americans working - buy US made products!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              when i first aquired my 90 ssp, the pass. front lightset and headlight bucket were destroyed. called the boneyards and found my cheapest price of 50 dollars when asking for the headlight bucket only. went there with a friend who needed some parts for his girlfriends escort. while he was pullin what he needed, i noted the lighting assemblies were very similar. ended up picking up the full driverside and passenger side headlight sets with buckets and the parking lights too (ALL for just 10 bucks!) by saying they were off an 87 escort.
                              1990 tx dps coupe MO-531 slicktop- sold
                              1988 tx dps coupe M8-562- sold
                              1990 tx dps coupe M0-626 slicktop- in progress

                              Troy

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X