What silver for NHP?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What silver for NHP?

My 89 NHP went into the paint shop on Dec 28th of last year. The time is getting close that I will need to make a decision on the silver paint for the top. I wanted to know what the owners (or previous owners) used as a paint color(code) for their cars. If you used a particular make and model for a particular year. Whatever info will help.
    1989 Nevada Highway Patrol SSP Unit# 262(?)

I love my NHP SSP

2005 Ford SuperDuty 6.0L Lariat 4x4 CC SB MBRP turbo back exhaust, 08 F350 springs
    1976 Jeep CJ-7, 4.2L block, MPFI, 4.0L head, Borla header, NV4500, Atlas 4.3, Dana 44's, ARB's, 4.88's, OBA, 35's, Hydroboost brakes

I'd like to know also. From what I heard, the cars were delivered blue from ford, then the dealership painted the roofs silver. But I'm not expert. Where's Superbee Mike when you need him?
    1992 NHP ssp unit 141 region 1 Las Vegas

Comment

Originally posted by Dcompson View Post
      I'd like to know also. From what I heard, the cars were delivered blue from ford, then the dealership painted the roofs silver. But I'm not expert. Where's Superbee Mike when you need him?
      Mike didn't know. I had a text conversation with him recently.

I love my NHP SSP

2005 Ford SuperDuty 6.0L Lariat 4x4 CC SB MBRP turbo back exhaust, 08 F350 springs
      1976 Jeep CJ-7, 4.2L block, MPFI, 4.0L head, Borla header, NV4500, Atlas 4.3, Dana 44's, ARB's, 4.88's, OBA, 35's, Hydroboost brakes

Comment

Well in that case I'm going to show the body shop in service pictures and have him try to match that?

Comment

My conversations with Mike and others at the NHP in the Las Vegas office when I was restoring my Las Vegas based 1991 B4C NHP Camaro resulted in the following explanation of the "Silver" color used on the roofs of NHP Mustangs and Camaro's.

I was told that the Mustangs and Camaro's were all as we know ordered as single colored cars. The cars were up-fitted by different outside contractors at different locations in the state. The silver roofs were painted LOCALLY by local body shops in the area of Nevada where the cars were up-fitted with equipment for NHP use. NHP did not up-fit their cars in one central location therefore there were differences between the same make/model car depending upon if the car was from Reno, Central Nevada or Las Vegas.

As far as the silver you can bet the silver a body shop used was a silver that the body shop already had on hand on the shelf from previous collision work since the job of paint the silver on the roof was small and did not require much paint or expertise. Remember this was long before most shop had any type of mixing equipment on site so a storage shelf full of half full cans of paint was common. Probably the most common silver paint available at that time/era was the GM silver as GM made a LOT of silver cars.

"I" used Honda silver on the Camaro. It is much brighter, has more flake in it and is just a much nicer looking silver than the old GM silver. Since there is NO RIGHT OR WRONG in this situation use what you want, have on hand or more importantly LIKE!

In the case of my 91 NHP Camaro the results were stunning! The beautiful factory blue GM body color and the Honda Silver roof looked GREAT together. I would use the same Honda silver again on a any future NHP car I repaint.
          Last edited by Vintageracer; 05-26-2016, 01:26 PM.
          Mike

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!

1983 9C1 Malibu

www.musclecardeals.com

Comment

Thank you so much. I'll take this into account when I'm ready to have the shop tackle the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Dcompson View Post
              Thank you so much. I'll take this into account when I'm ready to have the shop tackle the roof.

Ditto.

I love my NHP SSP

Comment

Working...
              X