Spotlight shaft size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spotlight shaft size

I know that SSP's use a GM shaft length. I see the "H" length mentioned most. My question is what is the difference between the "H" and "GM" lengths. I am looking for a black H-1, but have come to realize it may be near impossible to find. I can find the chrome in both lengths, and convert it to black. Just wondering how close the 2 sizes are.
    Donny

sigpic

The H shaft is the specified shaft for the SSPs. However the GM will work too, at least on most SSPs. The spotlights were not factory installed, so it can depend on the individual installation whether or not there is any problem using the slighly longer GM shaft. The difference in length is jsut over an inch, IIRC.
    Chris

1993 SSP, Oregon State Police
    2016 Ford Explorer

"There are four kinds of homicide: felonius, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -- Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I have used both. The H shaft fits well. The GM shaft fits, but as Chris said, mount angle can be important as the handle could touch the steering wheel.
      It is about 3" longer. Also, painting a chrome head is no simple task to get the paint to stay on.

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Over-a-Chrome-Surface
      David P.

http://public.fotki.com/david0855/

MCA Member #61961

Comment

That decides it. I keep searching for an H. Didn't realize the difference would be that great. For the conversion to black, Unity still sells a black trim ring and housing for the 5". I have to buy the spotlight smart, as the black pieces cost as much as most chrome spotlights. Thanks, guys.
        Donny

sigpic

Comment

CORRECTION!!!

CORRECTION!!!

The correct shaft for the SSP is the "K" shaft, not the "H". Don't know why I was thinking it was the H. :shrug:

The K has an exposed shaft length of 7 5/8". The GM is 9".

Forget the H. Its exposed length is only 5 7/8", so it probably would even let the handle clear the dash.

Yep. Turning a chrome housing to black is way more involved that you would think. You could always use black Plasti Dip on a chrome housing (about $7/spray can). It's not super durable, although a lot of the "tuners" use it on their wheels. But it's cheap, and easy to remove and redo -- it pretty much just peels off. Could be a low cost alternative until you can find a factory black housing.
          Last edited by m200pilot; 07-19-2015, 01:05 PM.
          Chris

1993 SSP, Oregon State Police
          2016 Ford Explorer

"There are four kinds of homicide: felonius, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -- Ambrose Bierce

Comment

I may be best off having Unity's vintage division make me one. They are expensive, but relative to the rest of the car, not too bad. That was my plan before I found out that my trooper had switched out the 4x6 rectangular to a 5" because the other caught too many bugs and would flip up at speed.
            Donny

sigpic

Comment

Looks as though Unity no longer produces the K shaft. Their V shaft is 7 1/2", and looks to be their current replacement.
              Donny

sigpic

Comment

Just take the chrome housing to a local chrome shop and have them "strip" the chrome.

After all that is the first step in the re-chroming process.

Cheap and easy.

After stripping prepare and paint to suit you!
                Mike

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!

1983 9C1 Malibu

www.musclecardeals.com

Comment

Working...
                X