X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5pt0Joe
    started a topic Spotlight Restoration/Repair

Spotlight Restoration/Repair

While browsing online, I came across this thread and found it highly interesting and informative for those who want to restore or repair their spotlights.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=403869

In case anyone doesn't know, Unity also has a vintage line, meaning you can get a strong majority of replacement parts and such for restoring the correct-style spotlights for the Mustang. Retailers can also build custom spotlights for you. This means you can get new spotlights (not NOS) for your Mustang at any local retail store (such as NAPA). I wasn't aware of this until I happened to talk to a local rep while getting parts for one of my Mustangs a while ago.

http://shop.unityusa.com/

• Pmustang
    replied
    Thanks for this link. My light needs adjusting to stop moving independently of the handle and the photos help. Peter

Leave a comment:

• G Man
    replied
    Joe: I agree. The plastic handle at the top of the page looks perfect!

When I was working, I used to get into the Ford factory in St. Thomas Ontario often (we had the antenna cable contract for the Crown Vics). After they switched to rubber spotlight handles, the engineers gave me two of the older plastic handles for my '89 FHP resto. They fit nicely in my briefcase for the trip back to Pennsylvania. I got a new shaft and spotlight housing directly from Unity.

Regards,
    Tom (G Man)

Leave a comment:

• 5pt0Joe
    replied
    Originally posted by G Man View Post
    Joe: First, what are you doing up at 3AM?

Second, I wanted to note that I had a good experience working with Unity when I restored the spotlight on my FHP Mustang. They had everything I needed and at a reasonable price. The only problem folks might have now is finding the correct handle assembly. Unity switched from hard plastic to soft rubber sometime in the mid-90's so the hard plastic ones may be hard to find since I don't think you can get them direct from Unity anymore.

Tom (G Man)
    This night owl usually goes to bed anywhere between midnight and 6am, depending on how much work I have going on. I do all my design work in the late evening into the night. I'm going to get a day job to help me have some extra Mustang-tinkering money, so depending on the hours, I may have to be in bed sooner than I'm used to!

I did bring up about the handles when I spoke with the rep. Apparently, they recently added them to their product line. I'm not sure how exact they are, but they look close enough for government work in the pics.

http://shop.unityusa.com/U-6701-0001...rip_p_636.html

Leave a comment:

• Chinesepete
    replied
    Thats a pretty good read, I have the original S6 that was on my 89 FHP, its pretty beat up, it doesnt turn, and even stationary, it has alot of play, and kind of jiggles around. I replaced it with a newer one (Plastic) but I sure would love to restore and put back the original one, its just a better built light in my opinion...

Leave a comment:

• MOstang
    replied
    Interesting read, Joe, thanks for posting it.

Leave a comment:

• G Man
    replied
    Joe: First, what are you doing up at 3AM?

Second, I wanted to note that I had a good experience working with Unity when I restored the spotlight on my FHP Mustang. They had everything I needed and at a reasonable price. The only problem folks might have now is finding the correct handle assembly. Unity switched from hard plastic to soft rubber sometime in the mid-90's so the hard plastic ones may be hard to find since I don't think you can get them direct from Unity anymore.

Tom (G Man)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X