Fact finding trip for Frankston TX 52-0068

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fact finding trip for Frankston TX 52-0068

I had a very rewarding trip out to Trankston Texas where my car is from. I found out a ton of reliable information on my car, but unfortunately not much of it officially documented. I interviewed the police chief, the local news paper, stopped at the dealership where my car was ordered, talked to the resident expert on these cars (there were 3 Frankston SSP's), lunched with the widow of the Constable who owned my car, and visited the local historical society.

I discovered there were 3 Frankston SSP's, mine was the first (1988 5spd), the second was totaled (1989 AOD), and the 3rd (1991 5spd - pictured bellow in the weeds) is still owned locally by a man who knew these cars well. I was able to find one photo of the wrecked '89, but other then that there seems to be no other photos or documentation on any of these cars.

My interview with the Constable's widow who owned my car (and the current constable who used to ride with him) was also very enjoyable and helpful. I got lots of great stories of the man who piloted my car during its second tour of duty and they were both very generous by giving me some old newspaper photos of my car and even some old door markings and equipment. They're not 100% sure it's the exact equipment off my car, but they're pretty sure. Here is some pics from my trip.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DD66Reed; 07-24-2011, 10:54 PM.
    David

1988 - "Frank Texas Police Unit" DOS 52-0068
    1988 - non-SSP Mustang 5.0 LX... FAST & FUN!!!

"Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Can anyone identify the lightbar in the wreck photo (last picture post)? How about any of the equipment they gave me?.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by DD66Reed; 07-24-2011, 10:57 PM.
    David

"Be kinder than necessary, because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Comment

More pics...
      Attached Files
      Last edited by DD66Reed; 07-24-2011, 11:30 PM.
      David

Comment

Last pics for now...
        Attached Files
        David

Comment

Originally posted by DD66Reed View Post
          Can anyone identify the lightbar in the wreck photo (last picture post)? How about any of the equipment they gave me?.
          That's pretty cool they gave you all that! Someone needs to get that 91 out of the weeds to, it looks to be restorable. The lightbar is a Code 3 LP6000, like what's on my Missouri SSP. The equipment pics are of a Midland Radio, it probably had about 10-15 channels, the red/blue lights are strobes, probably Galls brand which were made by Sound-Off, there's a maglight rechargeable flashlight holder there and a Galls (Sound-Off) headlight flasher. Nice posting and I bet you had a fun trip!

That Constable is carrying a 1911!! Sweet!!
          Eric

www.ericprincephotography.com

Comment

I'm by no means an expert on equipment, but the lightbar looks similar to a Code 3. In addition the black plastic piece in front of your grille lights is a charger for a rechargeable flashlight, perhaps Mag.
            Sounds like a very rewarding trip. Good luck with the resto!

Bruce

Comment

Good job David! Always nice to be able to find info, especially as SSP's get farther from the actual time they served. Looks good as a slicktop too.

What roles do Constables serve in TX? I know if other states it's more of a civil function.
              Mike Riley, webmaster, sspmustang.org

1986 Indian Rocks FL FD SSP Mustang
              2002 5 speed Mustang Convertible
              2004 Competition Orange Mach 1
              2004 Mercury Marauder

Comment

That is really great what you were able to learn on the trip! Sounds like a great bunch of people you ment and amazing you were able to amass so much from a small dept with the number of years that have passed.

I was thinking the same as mustangretriever on that SSP in the weeds. Is that a current pic or it is one from some years back and is it the SSP from the newspaper articles with the smashed rear end?
                Mike

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
                1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
                1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641
                1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P993

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/

Comment

Looks like you made a lot of great friends.......get that car back together and the next town parade, you will have the "Key to the City".
                  2012 Mustang Boss 302 #2892
                  2016 Police Taurus Interceptor #80

Comment

Jackpot! Great info and pictures
                    -Aaron

1992 SSP Kansas Highway Patrol #264 Troop H

Comment

"I was thinking the same as mustangretriever on that SSP in the weeds. Is that a current pic or it is one from some years back and is it the SSP from the newspaper articles with the smashed rear end?"

The car in the weeds is a current picture taken 3 days ago. It is car 3 of 3 of the Frankston SSP's. The owner bought it directly from the FPD and claims he has all the service records and even the original window sticker. The car is very complete and rust free, but the Texas sun has killed the paint & interior. It's been sitting for years after his brother "ragged it out." He is warming up to the idea of selling it because his kids are not interested in a standard transmission car. He said he gets lots of offers to buy it.

The photo of the wrecked car (2 of 3 and the only one with an AOD trans) is from a 1991 newspaper. It was totaled by the department, but was believed to have been purchased by someone who wanted to try to fix it. It's whereabouts and condition are unknown.
                      Last edited by DD66Reed; 07-25-2011, 08:14 PM.
                      David

Comment

"That Constable is carrying a 1911!! Sweet!!"

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 1911? Does anyone have a good pic of a Code 3 LP6000 lightbar?
                        Last edited by DD66Reed; 07-25-2011, 01:38 PM.
                        David

Comment

This link has some pics of mine before it was mounted on the Missouri car. 3 of the last 5 pics on that page are of the Code 3 LP6000 lightbar.

http://public.fotki.com/MOstang/must...s-1/page2.html
                          Mike

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
                          1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
                          1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641
                          1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P993

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/

Comment

Originally posted by DD66Reed View Post
                            "That Constable is carrying a 1911!! Sweet!!"

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a 1911? Does anyone have a good pic of a Code 3 LP6000 lightbar?
                            It's his firearm.
                            Eric

www.ericprincephotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by SSPMustang View Post
                              Good job David! Always nice to be able to find info, especially as SSP's get farther from the actual time they served. Looks good as a slicktop too.

What roles do Constables serve in TX? I know if other states it's more of a civil function.
                              Here is the description of a constable's duties for Henderson County Texas:

Constable:
                              These peace officers are the first link in the county's chain of law enforcement.

Along with their deputies, constables have all the enforcement powers of Texas peace officers. They are sometimes referred to as the executive officer of the justice of the peace courts. Their duties are to:

Subpoena witnesses;

Act as bailiff;

Execute judgments; and

Service of process.

In large metropolitan counties the constable may also assist the county and district courts. In addition, they may perform patrol functions and make criminal investigations. They are involved in the overall effort to reduce the effects of crime in their communities, including in some cases the operation of truancy programs.

Mike, I agree. My car looked great as a slicktop. It apparently had a lightbar when it was in-service with the FPD and for the first months as a constable's car. However, due to mechanical issues with the lightbar it was switched to a slicktop. As I make my restoration plans I have to decide if I want to do it as a FPD car with a lightbar; a Henderson Co. Constable's (HCC) car w/ lightbar; or as a slicktop HCC car. Right now I'm leaning toward HCC slicktop.
                              Last edited by DD66Reed; 07-25-2011, 09:13 PM.
                              David

Comment

Working...
                              X