FCSD SSP Restoration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCSD SSP Restoration

Began tearing a few smaller thing off the car today. Found the Tan & Brown paint under the white paint and confirmed that the jambs were painted instead of my theory of them not. I found out where the mic clip was located on the right side of the dash cluster and some other mounting holes on the dash I'll have to figure out. Pics 1 & 2 are of the same set of holes. The rectangular marking is about 1/2" x 1.5". Pics 3 & 4 are also of the same. It imprint looks like one of the Code-3 "Z" brackets like I have in my Black car but I'm not sure what the other, smaller holes are. I'm guessing they were either for another previously used bracket or extra screws were added to the "Z" bracket for reinforcement. The "Z" brackets would get top heavy depending on what was mounted on them.
    Last edited by The other CHiPs; 12-16-2011, 01:08 AM.
    Ron,
    1989 Indiana State Police SSP-Commission #4064 District 34/Jasper Post, Trooper Roger Carruthers
    1989 Indiana State Police SSP-Commission #4057 District 53/Putnamville Post, Trooper Rich Myers
    1993 Fulton County IN. Sheriff SSP, Sgt. Ed Beaird (in progress)
    1999 PPV Tahoe-Milwaukee County Sheriff Dept--FOR SALE

And here's the Buc Tags on the car:
    Ron,
    1989 Indiana State Police SSP-Commission #4064 District 34/Jasper Post, Trooper Roger Carruthers
    1989 Indiana State Police SSP-Commission #4057 District 53/Putnamville Post, Trooper Rich Myers

Comment

Since the sun decided to stay out today I was able to load it onto a trailer for it's trip to get it repainted. I found many areas of the old Brown & Tan under the white. So the question of whether the jambs had been painted Tan or not was answered; Yes they were. I still have to learn if the underside of the trunk lid & hood were.
      I also think I figured out which bracket was used for the front light and possibly what light was used due to limited space between the bracket & windshield.
      It sure is nice to have some sun so I can't get to work on this car!!
      Ron,

Comment

Can't wait to see the new paint job on this one.
        Mike

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
        1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
        1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641
        1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P993

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/

Comment

+1...a two tone brown will be different!
          "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

Learned more about the paint today and that it did have a spotlight on it.
            Ron,

Comment

Very cool Ron, looking forward to the paint progress pictures
              -Aaron

1992 SSP Kansas Highway Patrol #264 Troop H

Comment

Does anyone have the correct or close to correct paint info for the engine? I plan on repainting the engine, valve covers, intake, etc...
                Ron,

Comment

Well the engine block and heads were cast iron not painted.

I don't know the shade of gray the oil pan, valve covers, and intake were though.

I do know there were a few different shades of the gray on the intake and valve covers and that some valve covers were also not painted, they were just plain cast aluminum.

I am not sure how this all breaks down by year. I want to say the earlier cars 87-88 had lighter gray / aluminum color intakes, non-painted valve covers and light gray oil pans. The later cars had the gunship gray valve covers and intakes and on some of the later cars 92-93 the oil pans changed to black. Hopefully someone has a more specific breakdown.

From the 89 Brochure, valve covers look non-painted:

Last edited by 1988Bullitt; 05-04-2011, 07:34 AM.
                  -Aaron

1992 SSP Kansas Highway Patrol #264 Troop H

Comment

Ron,

Our local Napa store has Alum blast and Cast blast that works VERY well...Maybe give that a try ..
                    ssp91ssp
                    Hector

1992 PO.Oregon Police, Bimini Blue, Unit #85655,
                    Plate #SMY174 Unmarked, Served Central,North,
                    East Precinct until Aug 2000.
                    1988 Colorado State Patrol,Unit #246,DSO 76, Glenwood Springs CO.

Comment

Originally posted by ssp91ssp View Post
                      Ron,

Our local Napa store has Alum blast and Cast blast that works VERY well...Maybe give that a try ..
                      Thanks for the tip Hector.
                      Ron,

Comment

Originally posted by 1988Bullitt View Post
                        Well the engine block and heads were cast iron not painted.

I don't know the shade of gray the oil pan, valve covers, and intake were though.

I do know there were a few different shades of the gray on the intake and valve covers and that some valve covers were also not painted, they were just plain cast aluminum.

I am not sure how this all breaks down by year. I want to say the earlier cars 87-88 had lighter gray / aluminum color intakes, non-painted valve covers and light gray oil pans. The later cars had the gunship gray valve covers and intakes and on some of the later cars 92-93 the oil pans changed to black. Hopefully someone has a more specific breakdown.
                        That's exactly how those pieces on my '88 LX, '88 SSP, '89 LX and '91 LX were finished.
                        Michael
                        1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/

Comment

Update 06 May 2011

I was able to speak w/ the Sheriff of the FCSD today for a little bit. He told me a little of the history of the car he had including a pursuit and a minor fender bender. He also said that he's asked the Sgt. that was assigned the car to get the photos of it found for me. I'll be up that way next weekend and suggested we get together to talk more in detail so I can take better notes. He was game for that and said that he would have the Sgt. call me. If he didn't call me, he gave me his direct number and his schedule so I could get in touch with him.

One of the more interesting things he said about the car was about the paint color. He said the dark metallic brown was used on the hood, trunk lid, under the rear window, the A B & C pillars and the roof. The tan they used was not the standard Ford color though. He said it was a Datsun Tan. The tan that can be seen on the car now is a darker shade than the typical Tan used on Indiana Sheriff cars.

He didnt remember what lights, radios or equipment was used in the car but said the Sgt. would know. He also said he wasn't sure if the car had just the star on the door or if it had the full graphics since that was the era that the IN. Sheriff cars went to the graphics they have now. But, during my original phone call w/ Sgt. Beaird, he said that it had the full graphics. I guess the pics will tell......

The car is now being prepped for repaint. The holes in the firewall are being patched and re-opened for whatever the case may be. As I get more photos I'll be sure to post them.
                          Last edited by The other CHiPs; 05-07-2011, 11:40 PM.
                          Ron,

Comment

Very nice! Can't wait to hear, and see, more.
                            Mike

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
                            1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
                            1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641
                            1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P993

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/

Comment

07 May 2011

Found out that the removable trim was taken off before painting and where the tape line was between the quarter window & rear window. There's a good shot of that Datsun Tan. Can anyone help identify the color? I'm not having much luck...
                              Ron,

Comment

Working...
                              X