Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Pinstripe Help Needed, 90 Blue/Blue

Hey Guys,

I've purchased a 1990 Coupe a few months ago. The color is Twilight Blue with the Crystal Blue interior. It's not an SSP, but from what I've been reading this color combo was common on SSP models.
    The problem I'm having is finding any good pics or info on what exact color or shade of blue the original pinstripe was? The original owner had the car repainted many years ago and the pinstripes were never reapplied. I know that the original pinstripe for these Mustangs was painted on. I would like to find a pinstripe in vinyl, close to the original color to reapply.

These are the only pics I found of the original pinstripe and it's hard to make out the color. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The "TAPE" code on the door tag would be "B" for Twilight Blue exterior/Crystal Blue interior combo. Otherwise TAPE would be blank if it had no paint stripe.

1990-93 TAPE code B = Medium Blue (Ford paint code #M3108X according to paintref.com)

Comment

I had the light blue pin stripe re-applied correctly to the 1990 MSHP SSP that I owned for a couple years and returned to in-service specs. Here's a link to some pics after the pin stripe re-applied https://public.fotki.com/MOstang/mus...ripe-repainte/. That work was completed prior to equipment and emblem installation.

The guy who did the work for me here worked at Ford applying pin striping when the Fox Body Mustangs were originally manufactured. He was an expert and I was thrilled to find him...he knew exactly what color and how to apply it.
      Mike

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
      1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641
      1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P993

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/

Comment

Welcome to the site... you are just down the Hwy from me
        Gary
        Ontario, Canada

1988 NYSP SSP (awaiting paint)
        1989 FHP SSP #1329 (resto complete) 2016

1990 FLHTC
        2002 FLHTPI
        2007 F150 Lariat 4X4 4dr

Comment

Originally posted by foxchasis View Post
          The "TAPE" code on the door tag would be "B" for Twilight Blue exterior/Crystal Blue interior combo. Otherwise TAPE would be blank if it had no paint stripe.

1990-93 TAPE code B = Medium Blue (Ford paint code #M3108X according to paintref.com)
          The door tag on my car, showed B where the "TAPE" code is.
          Thank you very much for providing me the paint code!

Originally posted by MOstang View Post
          I had the light blue pin stripe re-applied correctly to the 1990 MSHP SSP that I owned for a couple years and returned to in-service specs. Here's a link to some pics after the pin stripe re-applied https://public.fotki.com/MOstang/mus...ripe-repainte/. That work was completed prior to equipment and emblem installation.

The guy who did the work for me here worked at Ford applying pin striping when the Fox Body Mustangs were originally manufactured. He was an expert and I was thrilled to find him...he knew exactly what color and how to apply it.
          Hi Mike,

Thank you for providing me a link to your album with all those pictures! That's a HUGE help!

Just wondering if you guys think this 1/8" blue pinstripe is close enough?
          https://www.amazon.com/Trimbrite-T11...EYR71V45HYX6Z0

Originally posted by wheelerg View Post
          Welcome to the site... you are just down the Hwy from me
          Hi Gary,

Funny, I purchased my coupe not that far from where you are, in Trenton. Curious, are you a member of these Toronto Mustang forums? GTAMC.com and TorontoMustangClub.ca

Thanks again guys for the info and pics!
          Anthony

Comment

I would get a pin striper to paint it on, like I understand was original and how was applied (by hand) in the link to my pictures. You will be happier and it will be way more durable and last longer. Cost was minimal for the job and it didn't take long. A body shop in your area should be able to turn you on to whomever they use for striping.
            Mike

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
            1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641
            1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P993

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/

Comment

I'll look into finding someone who can paint on the pin stripes. Wont be easy and most likely wont be cheap in my area, but I will try! Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Stripes were indeed painted on at the factory but they were not done by hand. There was a mechanical jig brought onto the body that painted on the stripes.

Comment

Working...
                X