My 1992 KANSAS HIGHWAY PATROL SSP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DJP55 View Post
    There are many local shops that restore wheels also. I have a local shop that does mine at $100 each. I brought them a NOS 10 hole I have to use as a guide. Most shops over clearcoat ruining the appearance. My wheels look great!!!

Exactly, you have to be careful on who does the wheels. I don’t have anyone local to me that had the ability to do this. I actually had 1 of the 4 wheels that was machined incorrectly; it appears the feed rate was to slow when they machined it. Only a picky eye would notice it but it did give it a slight appearance difference from the other 3, and it did not match my NOS original “master” wheel I had, the other 3 were right on though. Keystone took care of it and exchanged the wheel.

As far as the clearcoat goes it is also very well done, not super thin but not super thick either with pooling around the windows or worse, drips. I am not sure if Keystone is using a liquid spray on clear or a powder and bake clear but they look fantastic. I paid a little more $130 a wheel, shipping included with no core.
    Last edited by 1988Bullitt; 09-13-2012, 02:27 PM.
    -Aaron

1992 SSP Kansas Highway Patrol #264 Troop H

Comment

• The wheels look great! I've had 6 wheels redone by Keystone/LKQ here (including 2 just a couple of months ago)...$85/each plus tax. Not sure why it was so much more for you Aaron at the Keystone you used, but I keep thinking to myself how great a deal I'm getting and just prey it doesn't change the next time I have some done there.
      Mike

1992 Michigan State Police SSP Mustang #5114
      1993 Wisconsin State Patrol SSP Mustang
      1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P641
      1993 Missouri State Highway Patrol SSP Mustang P993

http://members.fotki.com/MOstang/

Comment

• Originally posted by MOstang View Post
        The wheels look great! I've had 6 wheels redone by Keystone/LKQ here (including 2 just a couple of months ago)...$85/each plus tax. Not sure why it was so much more for you Aaron at the Keystone you used, but I keep thinking to myself how great a deal I'm getting and just prey it doesn't change the next time I have some done there.
        That's $130 each, with no core. Cheaper if you turn in old wheels.
        Chris

1993 SSP, Oregon State Police
        2016 Ford Explorer

"There are four kinds of homicide: felonius, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -- Ambrose Bierce

Comment

• Chris - Thanks for that...I missed that detail in the post. Seems like a pretty good price to me and they do a really great job.
          Mike

Comment

• Yup, I still have the original 4 I acid dipped to remove the old clear. They can be machined in the future and re-cleared or they are could be painted black with no prep for a future project.
            -Aaron

Comment

• So here is the last update on the car for a while, Iím off to Japan. The new tires are mounted to the refinished wheels and they look great, so great that the center caps that I thought were in very good shape Iím only ok with now, lol. I will address that later. I cleaned everything up so I can put a cover on here for the next couple months and then I have a few toys to install over this winter. I am exactly where I wanted to be with the project so that is a relief too. Right now all I have left is the engine and transmission build and re-installing the interior.

A few shouts outside in the clouds, which sucks because this color looks much better in the sun!

Canít wait to install these when I get home, NOS Carlite rear glass with Defrost and Carlite front windshield.

Last edited by 1988Bullitt; 01-15-2019, 05:00 PM.
              -Aaron

Comment

• Saying this looks great would really be an understatement Aaron. Well done!
                Mike

Comment

• Originally posted by 1988Bullitt View Post
                  The new tires are mounted to the refinished wheels and they look great, so great that the center caps that I thought were in very good shape Iím only ok with now, lol. I will address that later.
                  Aaron,

I am re-organizing the garage, and I know I have a set of NOS center caps, still in the plastic, out there somewhere. I'll set them aside for you. I know there's no guarantee they're perfect since the wrappers don't afford complete protection, but when you get back from the land of the rising yen we can get together and see if they'll match your wheels well enough for a swap.
                  Chris

1993 SSP, Oregon State Police
                  2016 Ford Explorer

"There are four kinds of homicide: felonius, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -- Ambrose Bierce

Comment

• Originally posted by m200pilot View Post
                    Aaron,

I am re-organizing the garage, and I know I have a set of NOS center caps, still in the plastic, out there somewhere. I'll set them aside for you. I know there's no guarantee they're perfect since the wrappers don't afford complete protection, but when you get back from the land of the rising yen we can get together and see if they'll match your wheels well enough for a swap.
                    Awesome! Thanks Chris!
                    -Aaron

Comment

• That car has come a long way! Love the color too!
                      1989 Mustang LX Convertible with lots of mods!
                      1992 FHP Mustang (fhp-730) stationed in Ocala Fla. sold in 2000.
                      1990 Mustang LX sold in 1997

Comment

• I am pretty happy with who and what I am in life...BUT, I must say Aaron, I am damn envious of your restoration abilities. You have the ability of an artist to create beautiful automobiles.
                        David P.

http://public.fotki.com/david0855/

MCA Member #61961

Comment

• Originally posted by DJP55 View Post
                          I am pretty happy with who and what I am in life...BUT, I must say Aaron, I am damn envious of your restoration abilities. You have the ability of an artist to create beautiful automobiles.
                          I too wish I could do that myself. Without sounding sappy, I will say that your work is truly an inspiration for me. I ran into nothing but problems with the work done on my '88 so far and I think it is because I hold their work up to yours and compare in my mind, hence why I'm not happy with my car. It did teach me one thing though... I'd rather bring it to my buddy 8 hours away to have it done right rather than give it to someone new closer to home. Oh how much I regret doing that.
                          1988 Tribute SSP (original FHP)
                          1988 MA State Police SSP #2702
                          1987 MA State Police Mustang GT #1451
                          1996 MA State Police Bronco #1644
                          2003 US Park Ranger Expedition SSV (California)
                          Personal Site: http://www.5pt0joe.com
                          Owner, ShowCarCustoms.com
                          MA State Police Collection at MSP Restorations
                          ...and several other Mustangs

Comment

• Thanks guys that means a lot. This car has taken more work then I ever expected but it has also been a learning experience on some things which makes it even more enjoyable.
                            -Aaron

Comment

• When you finish with this project and make it to Kansas, I would love to see the car in person. I have always wanted to rebuild and finish a proper KHP Mustang. Your car is really looking great. I have been talking with Angela Frasure with the Kansas Highway Patrol in Topeka. If you need any historical information on the car, she is the one that knows everything:
                              Angela Frasure [AFrasure@KHP.KS.GOV]

The KHP's last yearbook included a history on the KHP cars from the 1930's to today. If you want to reply to me for a copy of this, my email is merriampd4763@gmail.com.

Again, if you come through the Kansas City area with your finished car, I would love to see it.

John De Moss
                              Merriam, Kansas Police

Comment

• John, I do not want to hyjack this post, but if you were not aware, I have #270, that I got from Marc (gixxer1). I will email you.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X