My 1992 KANSAS HIGHWAY PATROL SSP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1992 KANSAS HIGHWAY PATROL SSP

Many of you know I grew up in Kansas City and because of this I have always wanted a marked Kansas car. Well about 3 weeks ago one popped up, the seller was slow to respond but once he got back with me with all of the information I requested I dropped everything yesterday and drove to Ottawa Kansas to meet him. Jon is his name and he is currently in college in KS and needed some extra cash. Jon said the previous owner bought the car from the state auction in KC? From the CarFax it looks like the car was either in service from 3/9/1992-2/4/1994 45,856 miles or until 1/9/2001 120,104 miles. Then it looks like there was 2-3 owners after that.

The car is rough but that has never stopped me before, all of the panels (except for the Left Front Fender) are original with VIN tags still present and legible the car has little rust on the doors or rear deck but it does need some attention on the strut towers in the engine bay, it does not look like KHP ever power washed the sand and salt out of them and 18 years has taken itís toll. I pulled the rear seat last night in search of the build sheet but did not find it yet, Iím hoping itís still in there.

The car has an overall blue re-spray on it that you can see if flaking off, luckily they did not jamb the car so all of the labels, CR label, VIN tags, etc are still legible. The center console has a few holes but the dash is not that chopped up. There are 2 holes in the rear deck where it looks like the PAR 36 style rear lights were mounted (I am guessing on the lights from a picture I saw)

The grounding straps are still present on the hood and rear deck. The oil cooler is still on the engine. The 160 Speedo is still there and fully functioning along with the relocated truck release. There are a few left over mic mounts and wires too. The full size spare cardboard/wood cover is still there. The glove box is packed with stuff so hopefully there will be some goodies in there. The transmission cooler is still there too (but the car has been swapped to a T-5)

Obviously I will be restoring this to in-service condition but it will probably take me longer then the AL car did as I have many ďirons in the fireĒ right now. Stay tuned!

DSO 53-0149 KANSAS
    PAINT ROOF AND REAR DECK SPECIAL GRAY
    W2007
    REMAINDER BLUE

27996824408_fa3448df1a_b.jpg
    Last edited by 1988Bullitt; 05-07-2018, 04:15 PM.
    -Aaron

1992 SSP Kansas Highway Patrol #264 Troop H

Last edited by 1988Bullitt; 05-03-2018, 09:25 AM.
    -Aaron

Comment

Last edited by 1988Bullitt; 05-03-2018, 09:28 AM.
      -Aaron

Comment

Congrats on the find and purchase!
        "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

Last edited by 1988Bullitt; 05-07-2018, 04:46 PM.
          -Aaron

Comment

pretty cool find!
            1993 saleen 51
            1968 mustang fastback gt

Comment

Aaron, congrats on finding an SSP that holds such sentimental value to you. I'm sure that it will turn out beautifully!

Comment

Awsome Aaron, just give me a little more notice on the parts you need before you paint it.

Comment

Originally posted by 85kyssp View Post
                  Awsome Aaron, just give me a little more notice on the parts you need before you paint it.
                  Will do! Right now every body part on the car looks usable and since they are all original I am going to try my hardest to keep it that way. The LF fender is a reproduction so I will get a Ford Fender to replace that but otherwise you will just be getting a list of other random parts
                  -Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by 28HopUp View Post
                    Aaron, congrats on finding an SSP that holds such sentimental value to you. I'm sure that it will turn out beautifully!
                    Thanks, My wife and I are both from there so she's very excited too!
                    -Aaron

Comment

Congrats Aaron! Since finishing the AL SSP, I was wondering when you'd find another SSP project!
                      1988 Tribute SSP (original FHP)
                      1988 MA State Police SSP #2702
                      1987 MA State Police Mustang GT #1451
                      1996 MA State Police Bronco #1644
                      2003 US Park Ranger Expedition SSV (California)
                      Personal Site: http://www.5pt0joe.com
                      Owner, ShowCarCustoms.com
                      MA State Police Collection at MSP Restorations
                      ...and several other Mustangs

Comment

Originally posted by 5pt0Joe View Post
                        Congrats Aaron! Since finishing the AL SSP, I was wondering when you'd find another SSP project!
                        Thanks Joe, I have been looking for "the right one" for a while, just took me a while to find it. I will be posting on your site too shortly.
                        -Aaron

Comment

You got it!!

Excellent!!
                          Chris

1993 SSP, Oregon State Police
                          2016 Ford Explorer

"There are four kinds of homicide: felonius, excusable, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -- Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Originally posted by m200pilot View Post
                            You got it!!

Excellent!!

Yes, nothing all week, then Wednesday night an email out of nowhere. No words just the pictures I requested. Forgot to ask if he was going to be in sales Ended up being a really nice Kid and good to work with.
                            -Aaron

Comment

Good deal Aaron. You lucked out in that the interior wasn't painted black and the wheels swapped to 5-lug...I find soooooo many ex-CHP out here that have gone that route post-service which takes them out of the realm of easy to put back stock. If anyone can bring this one back it's you.
                              Michael
                              1988 CHP #3035

http://public.fotki.com/Classicchp/

Comment

Working...
                              X